The Washington Waldorf School employs teachers with a love of students and teaching. We seek teachers with experience and training in Waldorf education and an abiding interest in the foundational philosophy of the school. We also welcome teachers new to Waldorf education if they have a serious interest in developing themselves as Waldorf teachers. Specific qualifications for positions will be listed with individual job postings.
The Washington Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Grade 7 German Teacher (Posted March 20, 2018)
WWS is seeking a 7th grade German teacher, beginning this fall 2018. The teacher will be responsible for teaching three 45-minute class periods each week, attending one weekly foreign language department meeting and occasional lower school faculty meetings, and participating in some events throughout the school year. Seventh grade is first year of our German program. This is a part-time, hourly position.
The teacher should have a working knowledge of child development, particularly the young adolescent, and be teaching based on this understanding. We are looking for a colleague who is committed to excellence in teaching, collegial collaboration, and self-development. Enthusiasm for the subject, appreciation for the middle school student, a good sense of humor, and expertise in the classroom are necessary for this position.
Qualifications for the Position:
Education requirements include a bachelor’s degree, and demonstrated fluency and knowledge of cultural traditions of Germany and German-speaking countries. Successful experience teaching German as a foreign language at the middle school level is also required, and completed Waldorf teacher training is preferred. A teacher without Waldorf training will be expected to complete appropriate training and/or approved professional development coursework. Strong verbal and written skills are also required.
Teaching responsibilities include:
- Classroom teaching, including class preparation and grading
- Evaluating student progress and writing narrative reports twice a year
- Working with a variety of learning styles and different skills and abilities in the class
- Participating in parent-teacher conferences as requested by the school
- Attending weekly foreign language department meetings.
Other responsibilities include:
- Maintaining a German classroom space (along with the high school German teacher)
- Participating in one parent evening for Grade 7 and one parent evening for Grade 6 (to describe the German program) in the school year)
- Participating in professional development as requested/offered by the school
- Possible additional duties such as recess or traffic
- Possible substitution.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, attn: Steve Smith. No phone calls please.