The Washington Waldorf School employs teachers with a love of students and teaching. We seek teachers with experience and training in Waldorf education and an abiding interest in the foundational philosophy of the school. We also welcome teachers new to Waldorf education if they have a serious interest in developing themselves as Waldorf teachers. Specific qualifications for positions will be listed with individual job postings.
The Washington Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
SEEKING STONE CARVING INSTRUCTOR (Posted June 30, 2017)
WWS is seeking an instructor to teach basic carving skills for 16 high school seniors working in limestone. Class sessions run for 1-1/2 hours Monday mornings (10:55-12:30) and Thursday afternoons (1:15-2:50) for 24 sessions beginning November 11, 2017 through February 22, 2018. Materials and equipment provided. BA degree required. To apply email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
General Music Teacher, Grade 1-3 (Posted June 20, 2017)
WWS is seeking a general music teacher for grades 1, 2, and 3 to teach singing, recorders, musical games, and music-related stories. Each class meets twice a week and is paid on a per-class basis. Requirements include a BA or BS degree, teaching experience, knowledge of, or interest in, Waldorf pedagogy, and willingness to work closely with the Music Director to develop a curriculum. Please send a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com, attn: Nevin Bender. No phone calls please.
High School Science & Math Teacher (Posted March 24, 2017)
WWS is seeking a part-time (50-75%) teacher for science and math courses for the 2017-2018 school year, with the possibility of a full-time position in 2018-2019.
This position includes teaching some or all of the following courses:
- Grade 9 Organic Chemistry Main Lesson - block (daily, 3-4 weeks)
- Grade 9 Health (3/week, 1 quarter)
- Grade 10 Acids, Bases and Salts Main Lesson – block (daily, 3-4 weeks)
- Grade 11 Chemistry of the Elements Main Lesson - block (daily, 3-4 weeks)
- Grade 11 Cell Biology course (3/week, 1 quarter)
- Grade 9 Algebra (4/week, year-long)
- Grade 10 Geometry (4/week, year long)
- Grade 11 Algebra & Trigonometry (4/week, year-long)
Additional full-time responsibilities (which will be adjusted for part-time status) include:
- Working with adolescents with a variety of learning styles and different levels of skill and ability
- Advising up to 10 students (includes parent meetings, college recommendations)
- Sponsoring a class (includes parent evenings, class activities, weekly class forums)
- Developing curriculum
- Participating in professional development
- Attending faculty meetings and committees
- Participating in planning and chaperone student trips/activities (includes week-long trips in May, possibly a week-long trip in September, school dances)
- Attending and assist in school events and fundraising
- Working collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Managing and maintaining classroom(s) / physical spaces and supplies.
Requirements include a bachelor’s degree or higher. Advanced degree, high school experience, and Waldorf teaching credentials are preferred. If coming without Waldorf teaching credentials, candidates will be required to participate in additional professional development.
The Washington Waldorf School, located on a six-acre campus in in Bethesda, Maryland, is fully accredited by the Association of Waldorf School of North America and the Association of Independent Maryland Schools. Our enrollment is about 310 students in early childhood through grade 12, with about 75 students in the high school. More information about our school is available on our web site at www.washingtonwaldorf.org. For more information about Waldorf education visit www.waldorfeducation.org.
To apply please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, attn.: Steve Smith. No phone calls please.