The Washington Waldorf School employs teachers with a love of students and teaching. We seek teachers with experience and training in Waldorf education and an abiding interest in the foundational philosophy of the school. We also welcome teachers new to Waldorf education if they have a serious interest in developing themselves as Waldorf teachers. Specific qualifications for positions will be listed with individual job postings.
The Washington Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Art Teacher for Grades 6, 7, and 8 (Posted May 31, 2016)
WWS is seeking an experienced artist to teach Middle School Art in grades 6-8 for the 2016-2017 school year. Candidates should have a BA degree, experience drawing with graphite, pastel, charcoal, color pencil, and painting with watercolor and ink. Artistic skills should include: calligraphy, the use of shading and shadows to create form and three-dimensional shapes, strong abilities with regard to portrait drawing and the features of the human head, perspective drawing, and working with one- and two-point perspective, drawing landscapes, and how to use color perspective. Candidates should prepare a portfolio of sample work and will be asked to teach a sample lesson. Availability required September through June, 2016-2017. This is a one-year position, with the possibility to extend. 45-minute class periods, five to nine class periods per week. Pay: $40/class. Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Strings Teacher for Grades 4, 5, 6, and Middle School (Posted May 17, 2016)
WWS is seeking a Strings Teacher for grades 4, 5, 6, and Middle School. Eight 45-minute classes and one music faculty meeting each week. Hours (September through June, 2016-17): Mondays from 10 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.; Wednesdays from 11 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. This is a one-year position, with the possibility to extend. Minimum requirements: BA degree, teaching experience, conducting experience, proficiency in violin, viola, or cello, knowledge of or interest in Waldorf education. We have an established instrumental program. All students play violin, viola, or cello and have private instruction. Pay: $40/class. Teaching space for private lessons available after school. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
HS Block Teacher: Grade 12 History of Philosophy Main Lesson, January 9 – February 3, 2017 (Posted April 19, 2016)
Senior class of 18 students at an established, early childhood through grade 12 Waldorf school.. Minimum requirements: Bachelor’s degree, Waldorf high school teaching experience and background check (performed at hire). Grades and narrative reports are due within 1 week of the end of the block. Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
High School Drama & Theater Teacher for 2016-2017 (Posted April 11, 2016)
Three-quarter time to full time high school faculty position with corresponding responsibilities including student-advising, class sponsorship, trips, weekly department and full faculty meetings, and attendance of and participation in school events.
- Direct & Produce Senior Play – select and cast in consultation with other faculty, rehearsals during the school day (performances in May)
- Teach Grade 10 Drama course – 3 periods each week, 2 quarters
- Direct High School Drama Club – elective meets for a double-period during the school week and 90 minutes one afternoon after school, Sept-April, typically participates in Folger Secondary School Shakespeare Festival (March or April)
- Convene and run High School Tech Crew – extracurricular, as needed
- Manage stage, lighting, costumes and props for performances and assemblies (including costume and props room)
- Manage scheduling of stage and auditorium (coordinate with Facilities Manager regarding evening and weekend use)
- Member of the Festivals Group which plans assemblies, plays, concerts and other performances
- Possible: Co-director or technical director for Grade 8 Play (performances in December or March)
- Possible: Teach high school humanities / English course or skills class
Minimum of Bachelor’s degree, directing and teaching experience, and background check (performed at hire) required. Experience working with adolescents and background in Waldorf education, or willingness to pursue professional development in Waldorf education, preferred. Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
High School Science / Math / Technology Teacher (Full or Part Time, and/or Internship) (Posted November 30, 2015)
WWS is seeking seeking part time to full time teacher(s) for some combination of science, math, and/or technology in anticipation of transitions in our high school teaching faculty over the next several years. Internship would also be a possibility.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher *applications that do not meet this minimum requirement will be discarded*
- Advanced degree, high school teaching experience and Waldorf teaching credentials preferred
- If coming without Waldorf teaching credentials, will be required to participate in additional professional development
Full time, full performance responsibilities include the following (scaled down for part time or internship)
- Work with adolescents with a variety of learning styles and different levels of skill and ability
- Teach year-long skills courses
- Teach 3-4 week block courses
- Act as individual advisor for up to 10 students (includes parent meetings, college recommendations)
- Sponsor a class (includes parent evenings, activities, weekly class forums)
- Curriculum development
- Professional development
- Faculty meetings and committees
- Participate in planning and chaperone student trips/activities (includes week-long trips in May, possibly a week-long trip in September)
- Attend and assist in school events and fundraising
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and parents
- Manage and maintain classroom(s) and supplies
Pay & Benefits
- FT salary
- Health insurance with HSA
- Life insurance
- Long term disability insurance
- Tuition remission
Interested? Apply and we can explore the possibilities! Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.