FAQ for Parents

Faculty Directory

Main telephone number: 301-229-6107

What time does school start and dismiss for each grade?
Grades 1-6 begin at 8:30 a.m. Grades 7-12 begin at 8:15 a.m. Dismissal for 1-12 is at 3 p.m., except on Wednesdays, when grade 1 dismisses at 12:30.

What school supplies do I need to purchase for my child at the start of school?
For the lower school, all supplies are provided by WWS. There may be an occasional exception. The class teacher will provide parents with a list when needed.

My child is ill today and won’t be at school.
Call the School by 8:30 a.m. to report the absence. Also report any contagious illness.

My child is (a few minutes, an hour, or any amount of time) late.
Send your child to the Front Office to check in. He or she may then go to class.

My child forgot his or her lunch (or instrument, or homework, etc).
You may deliver it to the Front Office and we will make sure it gets to your child.

I need to pick up my child early.
Go to the Front Office. We will get your child and record the early departure at the entrance counter.

I’d like to help in my child’s class.
Contact your child’s Class Teacher or Class Parent.

I’d like to make an appointment with my child’s Class Teacher.
Contact your child’s teacher directly.

I need more information about a class trip or a festival.
For the Lower School, contact Ildi Horovitz, Lower School Coordinator or the Class Teacher

For the High School, contact Bonnie McClelland, High School Coordinator

I have questions about how my child is doing in class, or about my child’s work; I don’t understand a classroom assignment; I want to know why or how a subject is being covered in class.
Contact child's teacher.

I need information on a foreign language, handwork, music, or other special subject.
Contact the specific subject teacher.

I am having trouble communicating with my child’s teacher; my child’s teacher is not dealing with a situation as I think it should be handled; or I am dissatisfied with the classroom curriculum or special subject.
For Children's Garden, contact Linc Kinnicutt

For Lower School, contact Corinna Gittel

For High School, contact Valerie LeBlanc.

I’d like to make an appointment with the Faculty Chair.
Contact Stacey Kornegay, Administrative Assistant ext. 121.

I want to know more about the Waldorf pedagogy; I want to learn more about the WWS mission, vision, and strategic plan; I have an idea about expanding one of our pedagogical programs off-campus; I have a pedagogical issue that I feel is not being addressed by my child’s teacher, the department chair, or WWS.
Contact Jennifer Page, Faculty Chair, ext. 128.

I need to change my tuition payment schedule; I need to check on or make a payment; I want to learn more about the refundable deposit.
Contact Lelia True, Operations Manager, ext. 112

I need to set up or adjust my FACTS account.

Marie Maurer, Business Manager, ext. 122

I need information on tuition assistance; I need help filling out the online application or other tuition assistance paperwork; I am having some financial difficulties and need to apply for emergency assistance.
Contact the Financial Aid Committee via Stacey Kornegay, Administrative Assistant to the Faculty Chair, ext. 121.

I’d like to place an ad in the Bulletin.
Contact Steve Smith, Director of Communications, ext. 123.

I have questions about an off-site facility; I want to know more about our current building design or safety issues; I have a concern about, or suggestion for, improving the campus design, parking, traffic, or other physical aspects.
Contact John Cox, Facilities Manager ext. 126.

I’d like to help in a specific area of the School; I’d like to help in the School, but am not sure where.
Contact Maria Monteverde Jackson, Director of Events and Community Relations.

I have an issue that I think the Trustees Council should consider; I want to ascertain whether the Trustees Council is looking at a particular
Contact Trustees Council Chair, Eric Holdsworth.

I have a personal question about a Trustee Council policy or decision; I want to suggest a potential candidate for Trustees Council membership.
Contact Trustees Council Chair, Eric Holdsworth.